Kitchen Clerk Job Description
To provide prompt, friendly food service in fast-paced kitchen environment. To prepare kitchen foods according to pre-determined recipes.
- Reports To: Kitchen Lead or Prepared Foods Manager
- Status: Non-exempt; Full time or Part time
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Treat all internal and external customers fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Ensure that customers are not exposed to internal disagreements.
- Provide accurate, polite and enthusiastic service at all times.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers and staff.
- Ensure store cleanliness at all times.
- Communicates honestly, openly and respectfully with everyone in the organization.
- Communications are clear; ensures that they have been understood.
- Stays informed by consistently reading and responding to all forms of communication from others; emails, time clock messages, texts, log books.
- Takes frequent opportunities to recognize good work.
- Communicates needs promptly and efficiently.
- Resolves conflicts promptly; asks for assistance as needed.
- Maintain high quality food standards at all times.
- Follow checklists and production schedules to provide efficient department operations.
- Prepare foods according to predetermined recipes and prep sheets.
- Label and store all prepared foods properly.
- Package, label and stock prepared foods in a timely manner.
- Set up and break down food stations.
- Keep retail cases clean, stocked, fronted and faced with proper signage.
- Dispose of un-sellable items properly.
- Advise supervisor of equipment repair or maintenance needs.
- Participate in monthly inventory as requested.
- Accurately record shrink, transfers and production levels.
- Perform all other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Adhere to all policy manual contents.
- Participate in evaluations as requested.
- Attend department meetings as requested.
Merchandising and Promotions
- Place proper shelf tags and sale signs are on shelves and displays.
- Request signs from supervisor as needed in a timely manner.
- Participate in re-sets as requested.
Sanitation and Safety
- Adhere to department safety requirements.
- Maintain current food handler certification.
- Keep department display units, coolers, work areas, storage areas, and sales floor clean and orderly.
- Report worker injuries to department manager, assistant manager or MOD.
- Adhere to all Health Department requirements.
- Model high standard of customer service.
- Uphold all SFFC policies.
- Minimize absences and be punctual.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
The qualifications, responsibilities and job duties listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to do. Sioux Falls Food Co-op reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require that employees perform other tasks deemed necessary based on competitive, financial or environmental considerations.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors at the cash register.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Commitment to superior customer service.
- Ability to manage and motivate self.
- Ability to follow systems and recipes to provide for efficient and productive foodservice operations.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment
- Follow through with delegated tasks.
- Current Safe Staff Food Handlers Certification.
- Sense of humor.
- Accept direction willingly.
- Sense of urgency.
- Regular predictable attendance.